Saturday, October 6, 2012

Various - Soweto Never Sleeps: Classic Female Zulu Jive (Shanachie, 1986)



A beautiful selection of "mbaqanga" music from South Africa. These ladies really know how to jive. I won't recreate the track listing as some eBay seller was kind enough to upload the back cover, my (Sotho? Zulu?) is a little rusty. I like the English translations, esp.

NO END TO MUSIC

a.k.a. the mantra for this blog.

Two tracks I particularly love are "Wozani Mahipi" and "Akulaiwa Esoweto", both of which are on the excellent Next Stop...Soweto collection. That's a must buy right there, which I originally discovered on the superb and now sadly link-defunct Big Head Stevenson blog. Go there anyway and get inspired before it's gone for good.

And, as Irene and the Sweet Melodians say best, "LET THE WEEKEND COME"...

(now)



No comments:

Post a Comment