Monday, March 3, 2014

Various - Yen Manifold Vol. 1 (Yen Records, 1983)


I've been searching for this one for a while... Leonidas over at Warm & Gooey does a great job of telling the story of Harry Hosono and Yuki Takahashi's Yen Records (or the lack of story thereof) and the grail quest for collectors of finding their records/information about them (Also, check out the nice mix he made!). Fortunately, the far reaches of Google offer up gems like this from time to time. 

This label sampler offers 4 tunes from Interior to start us off (you might know their excellent eponymous LP that root strata was kind enough to supply).  These have a slightly different vibe from the Interior sound I was familiar with (except 'Hot Beach' from the LP) - and vocals - but still solid. Side 2 is more my speed: 3 tracks from Koji Ueno, whose music is pretty unavailable online (anybody got a copy of "Music for Silent Movies" they'd be willing to share?) and two non-LP songs from  Testpattern, one of my all time faves. The Ueno stuff is in the same vein as the Ryuichi soundtrack I posted last time - speedy orchestration that would sound at home in video game or anime scenes. And "Friday" is the most blissful of Testpattern tracks IMHO.

Here's to hoping someone reissues the Yen Box. Until then, happy hunting!

My favorite Koji number from this one:


2 comments:

  1. this link has expired. do you think you can do a repost by any chance?? I'll be infinitely grateful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!!! Could you please please re upload this? I'd really appreciate it. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete